Pages

Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Happy October!

current time: 5:26 am

on the menu: just finished an egg pita. I'm {trying} to give up carbs but they have this evil way of sneaking into your day...It's not as easy as you might think to not eat carbs. There's suddenly an awful lot of salads, which feels very vegan again (that lasted about a month...) and I'm still not losing any weight. Next step: blaming it all on the hormones and middle-aged-ness. Blasted getting old...

out the window: my flock of sparrows nibbling who knows what in the lawn

reading: Winter of the World by Ken Follett, Book Two of the Century Trilogy

"Winter of the World picks up right where the first book left off, as its five interrelated   families—American, German, Russian, English, Welsh—enter a time of enormous social, political, and economic turmoil, beginning with the rise of the Third Reich, through the Spanish Civil War and the great dramas of World War II, up to the explosions of the American and Soviet atomic bombs."

It's heart wrenching, beautifully written...I just wish I had more time to read!

Also reading the usual assortment of art books: Cultivating Your Creative Life, The Artist's Way, Poemcrazy...

listening: I've started listening to K-Love when I work out in the mornings rather than the usual hard and fast paced mix I have on my MP3 player. It's so great to get that extra inspiration every day, so much more uplifting and heart filling--lovin' it and this is one of new favorite songs, That's How You Forgive by Shane and Shane:
watching: I am hooked on Duck Dynasty. I never wanted to watch this show--what in the world could possibly be interesting about these wild looking, long bearded cammo wearing fools? I was never so wrong in my life. It is easily the funniest show I've ever watched and every episode ends with the entire extended family in prayer together over dinner. I love their family values, the Christian message so soft and subtle yet vibrantly there, and I laugh 'til I'm in tears every time. You gotta watch--I promise you won't be disappointed!



good things: 
  • The weather's cooled off and leaves are starting to change
  • Pumpkin lattes are everywhere
  • Beach, beach, beach, water, water, water--last weekend we spent beaching at Newport, Fort Phoenix, and Horseneck and this past weekend was the Working Waterfront Festival--so much water fun!
We got to tour a tugboat, a scalloper and another fishing boat--so cool!
 
Vendor tents


Boats, boats, and more boats...

  • Oyster shooters (mucho better-o with chili infused vodka rather than tequila--in case you were curious....)
  • Mezzetta jalapeno stuffed olives-I ate the whole jar in three days!
  • Making mail art
Rather self-explanatory...there were several envies for swaps but won't post others' addies online...trust me, they were cute!

icky things and their silver linings:
  • Still trying to adjust to Bug's new school schedule and fit in a workout schedule, which isn't going well but--I am adaptable and I'll figure it out...
  • Middle aged-ness and hot flashes and mood swings--reminds me to take the very best care of me and my family
  • Feeling lost as everyone is starting the October "31 Days of __________" and having no idea what I want to commit to for the month--trying to think creatively...

Around and About


Timeline_Cover_doNotRename58
Linking up with Cynthia Lee this morning over at Spirit Uncaged
    

No comments:

Post a Comment